Have you ever thought back to a time where you had an opportunity to do something, and you didn’t? Hindsight is 2020. You think to yourself, I should have done it. It would have been worth it. You cannot change the past put you can change the future.
If you have a fear of public speaking there is something that you can do to avoid feeling that gut wrenching queasy pit that the bottom of your stomach. Or maybe you just want to improve your speaking technique and ability to communicate with others.
When it comes to public speaking many have felt the way you do and are so grateful that they have found a gem that can help! Public speaking classes!
Maybe even the thought of taking the class makes you cringe because you have to do exactly what the class is called and speak publicly. However, there are many benefits! Below you will find some of the reasons why public speaking classes are worth it!
What Are Public Speaking Classes?
Effective public speaking classes are designed to teach you everything you need to know about preparing and delivering an incredible speech.
These classes will help you cultivate the skills and techniques that are necessary for you to become a skilled public speaker, regardless of your current level of experience. The classes are specifically designed help students on an individual basis by highlighting their strengths and improving their weaknesses.
It can be so frustrating knowing that you have amazing things to say and great ideas but yet you cannot verbalize them successfully. The anxiety that you and others feel is real.
One psychology professor at UCLA named Matthew Lieberman explains more about this kind of anxiety in his book Social. He states, “Our brains crave the positive evaluation of others almost to an embarrassing degree.”
This is what causes most people to get anxious about public speaking. His books are used in public speaking classes all over the world to help prevent this anxiety from developing into a fear that people have for the rest of their lives.
Public speaking classes offer hands on tailored instruction that will help you overcome your fear of public speaking also known as Glossophobia, so that you will be able to verbalize all the amazing things you have to offer.
What Are The Benefits Of Taking A Public Speaking Class?
Below you will find a few of the benefits that you can look forward to if you decide to take public speaking classes. The benefits include but are not limited to:
You will be taught how to present information effectively and efficiently, as well as prepare an effective speech and polish it to perfection.
You will learn various speaking techniques and methods.
With time and practice you will gain more confidence, which will help you break out of your comfort zone. The more comfortable and proficient you become you might actually start to enjoy public speaking.
You will be given the opportunity to see your strengths and weaknesses when it comes to public speaking. You will see what you are naturally great at, the areas that require improvement and so forth. By doing so you can tailor your future speeches according to your strengths.
Your speaking skills will be enhanced, which will help you look and feel more professional.
Having the ability to advance in your career because you now have the skills to communicate effectively, even when under pressure.
Developing good time management skills that will not only help you keep your speech within your designated time frame but also can help you in other areas of your daily life.
Enhancing your communication skills.
Overcome fear and social anxiety. Although it may be challenging, you will be able to confront your apprehension head on by speaking in front of others. Doing so will help you become a more polished speaker and reduce your anxiety.
Developing good leadership skills.
Gives you a safe space to make mistakes and learn from them.
You can receive feedback from your coach and from your fellow classmates.
Improving your language and grammar skills. You will learn how to use a variety of words to present yourself that maybe you would have never thought to use.
You will learn how to eliminate stuttering, nervous ticks and all the things that can distract your audience from your message and replace them with good body language and hand gestures.
You will meet people who share the same goals that you can learn from.
Types Of Public Speaking Classes
Because there are multiple forms of public speaking there are a variety public speaking classes available. Listed below you can find some of the different classes that you can take:
- Professional Public Speaking Classes- the most common class taken. This class will help you to become a better presenter and speaker in professional situations.
- Motivational Speaking Classes- ideal for those who are thinking about or starting a career as a motivational speaker. It is also ideal for those who would like to motivate and encourage their employees to do more while they are at work.
- Corporate/Executive Speaking Classes- will help you learn the specific skills that are needed when in a corporate/executive meeting.
- You also have classes that focus on speaking to entertain or speaking to inform.
- Still, you have other classes that take a well-rounded approach and cover the techniques of all of the different public speaking styles.
Although there are multiple options for you to choose from, it is important to take your time and do your research in order to get as much benefit as possible out of the experience.
Remember the public speaking class that is best for you depends on your own preferences and specific goals that you want to accomplish.
Additional Reasons Why Public Speaking Classes Are Worth It
- You have the ability to choose whether you will take in person or online classes. It all depends on your preference, goals, and personal learning style. In person public speaking classes, allow you the opportunity to speak live in front of others. Online public speaking classes are highly convenient because you are able to set your own schedule and progress at your own speed. Some also prefer to give a speech in front of a webcam instead of an in person audience. However, you will find that the best online classes are designed to mimic the experience of an in-person class.
- Many of the best public speaking classes include one-on-one coaching that is flexible and designed to address your individual needs. So, take advantage of a public speaking coach.
How To Get The Most Out Of Your Public Speaking Class
- Be patient with yourself
- Take advantage of the plenty of opportunities that you will have to practice and deliver your speech in front of a live audience
- Take notes and refer to them regularly
- Be completely dedicated to becoming an effective public speaker
- Give your full attention and best effort every single time you attend class
- Practice at home
- Set definitive goals and progress accordingly
- Network with those you meet in your class
Important Things To Take Into Consideration:
- Over the course of the class, you will become familiar with those also taking the class. However, the class setting should not become your comfort zone. The class should not become so comfortable that you still feel imitated talking in front of others outside of your class.
- Remember that these classes are in a controlled environment, so the element of spontaneity may sometimes be missing. This is due to the fact that you have the opportunity to make mistakes, fail and come back with a better speech. In effect, your ability to be spontaneous and quick thinking may be lower.
- It is important to versify your techniques. By becoming more familiar with different techniques you can adapt to your audience and creates valuable opportunities for you to improvise.
Will I Be Intimidated While Taking Public Speaking Classes?
Granted, if public speaking is not your forte then in the beginning the first few sessions may feel a little intimidating but don’t give up!
It is also helpful to remember that most of the other attendees in your class are just as nervous as you are. As you all listen to each other and grow in your abilities you will feel less intimidated.
Are Public Speaking Classes Worth It?
If you would like to become a more polished and effective speaker and are willing to put in the necessary time and practice, then taking a public speaking class is definitely worth it!
It’s a temporary change that will bring lasting benefits. You will be able to use what you learn daily for the rest of your life!
If you are tired of feeling anxious and agitated with your public speaking ability, or you simply want to improve your technique then taking a public speaking class is a worthy pursuit.
The ability to be able to communicate well with others is life changing. It is never too late to register for a class in public speaking so why not give it a try? You’re worth it!
For more resources to develop your public speaking skills while you are in the comforts of your own home, please check the articles Online Resources for Public Speaking and Where Can I Learn Public Speaking. If you would like to leverage the best presentation software for your next big speaking engagement please read the article 'Best Presentation Technology tools'.