The way you look can dramatically change how your audience perceives you. Why appearance matters in public speaking is an important topic to discuss because it will help you understand the importance of looking well-groomed and wearing nice clothes. Your appearance has a huge impact on whether people are willing to listen to what you have to say, so it's worth taking the time to prepare yourself before heading out the door.
Here are a few reasons why your appearance matters when giving a presentation or speech:
You And Your Message Are More Likely To Be Remembered
Appearance is one of the first things people notice when they see you. This presents an opportunity for you as a speaker or presenter to give a positive impression on your audience right away.
If people remember how you look, they're also going to associate that with what it was they saw or heard from you. If they see a well-dressed speaker who looks approachable and professional, for instance, then your appearance will have an impact on the way they perceive your message.
Your appearance also has an impact on how well people pay attention to what it is you have to say. It will also dictate whether your audience will take both yourself and your words seriously.
When you look good, it shows that you care about the impression you're making. This can be a huge boost to your confidence level, which will help carry you through your presentation.
The way you dress and groom yourself can also help to take the focus off of any perceived weaknesses or shortcomings that you might have. Truly, people are more likely to listen to what it is you have to say when they see that you've taken the time and made the effort to look your best.
Appearance Matters in Public Speaking- So What Should You Wear?
There's no one answer to that question, as the dress code for public speaking will vary depending on the setting and occasion. However, in general, it's best to err on the side of caution and dress up a bit more than you normally would. That doesn't mean going out and buying a brand new outfit - just make sure you're well put together and look polished.
Some tips for dressing appropriately when giving a presentation in a professional setting:
- For men, wear a dark suit or blazer with khaki pants or wool trousers. A tie is optional but recommended. Make sure your shoes are polished and your hair is neatly trimmed. Amazon has a great collection of options to look like a true business professional.
- For women, aim to wear a skirt or dress that falls below the knee paired with a blouse or sweater. Go for closed-toe shoes in neutral colors like black, gray, navy blue, brown, and metallic shades that match with the outfit you've chosen. Again, make sure your hair is trimmed and styled away from your face (and not falling into eyes). Check out Amazon's collection of Women's business attire!
If it's summertime where you live when heading out to do public speaking engagements, don't worry about wearing thicker clothing - just skip the suit jacket because it'll be too hot!
If you work somewhere casual like an office environment during normal business hours but need to give presentations outside of the workplace at conferences or workshops after hours, dress up by putting on nice slacks/khakis paired with a button-down shirt for men and a blazer over a dress with a cardigan for women.
The most important thing to remember is that you want your audience to focus on what you're saying, not what you're wearing. So take the time to put together an outfit that will make you feel confident and look professional. And always be sure to dress for the occasion!
Appearance Matters in Public Speaking- Don't Forget About Good Posture!
Good Posture in public speaking is very important because it makes the speaker look confident and at ease with what he or she is talking about which helps listeners to be more interested in what is being said. Slouching or having poor posture makes you look unprofessional and unsure of yourself, which can be very off-putting to listeners.
There are several things you can do to improve your posture and appear more confident while speaking in public.
- Make sure you're standing up straight with your shoulders back. This will help you look alert and engaged. You can also practice good posture when sitting down by keeping your spine tall and avoiding slouching.
- Pay attention to the way you gesture when speaking. When you are excited about your topic, you are likely to move around more. But don't let this movement prevent you from having good posture - instead, try to incorporate the gestures into your upright stance.
Check Out These Additional Resources for Public Speaking
We hope this article has given you a better understanding of why it's important to present yourself in a way that makes a positive impression. Feel free to explore Amazon for great quality clothing options for a professional image!
For more resources to develop your public speaking skills while you are in the comforts of your own home, please check the articles Online Resources for Public Speaking and Where Can I Learn Public Speaking. If you would like to leverage the best presentation software for your next big speaking engagement please read the article 'Best Presentation Technology tools'.
Leave any questions or comments below, please don't hesitate to reach out - we'd love to hear from you.
* Disclosure- As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. However, this is at no extra cost to you.*